What Jesus Says to His Church – Smyrna- The Persecuted Church – 3 of 8
SERIES STUDY GUIDE
This 8-part series uses a comprehensive study guide. Download from the Save PDF button above.
- Jesus told the church of Smyrna: “Do not fear what you are about to suffer.” That’s his instruction to us: “Trust me—don’t be afraid.”
Is there something frightening you now? Your problems could be related to finances, health, or the spiritual condition of a loved-one. You may have relational relational problems or be facing restructuring at work…and those inevitable lay-offs. Whatever your difficulties are, Jesus says “Do not fear what you are about to suffer.”
Are your fears related to the future? Jesus says “Don’t worry about tomorrow—each day has enough trouble of its own!” Trust him today—and let him handle what comes your way.
- Jesus told the church of Smyrna: “Be faithful until death.” That’s his instruction to us too: Don’t abandon faithful living.
That means that we keep on believing the Christian faith and we keep on doing what the Bible instructs.
- We continue meeting together on a weekly basis. Many drift away. Hobbies, sports, travel, laziness—whatever—keep us from gathering as believers. Many drift away, but we must not.
- We continue loving our church family. Getting along with each other. Forgiving each other.
- We continue loving our neighbors who don’t know Christ. We serve them however we can and we share the gospel with them.
Don’t abandon godly living.
- Jesus told the church of Smyrna: “If you have ears—use ‘em! Listen and obey.” That’s his instruction to us, too: “Every day, read and obey!”
We’ve created “Suggestions for Digging Deeper in Your Daily Quiet Time” to help you with this. It’s found inside the front cover of your sermon study guide.
May we follow the fine example of sweet little Smyrna—and likewise be a fragrant perfume for our Savior.
APPLICATION / CHALLENGE
Part 3 of 8 Application / Challenge.
TAKE ONE STEP
Each week, write down one doable concrete step of obedience, small or large that you will put into practice this week. (James 1:22: “But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.”)